Friday, August 1, 2008

So Long, Manny

Well, it happened. After years of dodging bullets, Manny was finally traded. I was crushed yesterday; I wanted to go home sick from work. From a baseball standpoint, it's not a bad deal for the Sox. Jason Bay has very comparable stats, and a much better attitude. But the fact remains: he's not Manny.

Thanks to (most) everyone for the outpouring of support last night. It felt like a family member died or something. While I'd love to individually thank each of you, that honor goes to MyShawn, who sent me this little gem:

First of all I'm sorry for your loss, second of all I've always wanted to say this to you:

Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you,
That is how I know you go on
Far across the distance
And spaces between us
You have come to show you go on

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on


Heart warming. Who doesn't love the Titanic song? Now that we've established a sufficient amount of homosexual overtones, I can do my tribute to Manny. Here are all the Manny-related things I will miss (besides, obviously, the .300 average, 30 HR, 120 RBI stats every year, the best 3-4 combo in baseball with Ortiz, and the fact that the Yankees are TERRIFIED of him):


The Point. Granted, he rarely does this anymore, as it was kind of a Pedro and Millar thing, and they're both long gone. When it was in full effect, though, it was awesome. My favorite was one game in 2004 when, after going from first to third on a single to right field (fairly routine) he popped out of his slide and flashed a giant two-handed point at the dugout, like he had just scored the tying run in the 9th inning or something. That one killed me.







His shenanigans in the Green Monster, usually during pitching changes. Like the time in 2005 he went in, and came back onto the field only seconds before Wade Miller was about to pitch. It was rumored he was using the restroom, except, um, there's no restroom in there.



Nobody, but nobody, pimped a home run like Manny could (much to the chagrine of opposing pitchers, fans, and probably even some old-school Sox fans.) He may not have invented it, but he perfected it. I know normally I hate it when players do this, but like many other things, Manny somehow gets a pass. It's just funny when he does it. Some of my favorites:

Against the Yankees on the last day of the year in 2005. The game was already in hand, a playoff spot was clinched, when Manny launches one. He stands in the box for a few seconds, walks halfway to first base, then suddenly decides to be honorable, and puts his down and nearly sprints the rest the way around the bases. Seriously, he was running faster than he does for a ground ball to shortstop.



His homer off Jared Weaver in last year's ALDS. I've written about this one here before, but to summarize: Weaver was pissed about Ortiz admiring a homer earlier in the year. Ortiz went yard off Weaver, and in order to diffuse any bad blood, he puts his down and simply runs around the bases. Manny comes up next, hits a BOMB, and (even by his standards) takes his sweet time getting out of the box and around the bases. Basically just a big F you to Weaver.


His walk-off in Game 2 of that same ALDS. He stood at home plate for probably 5 seconds before he even thought about going to first. Look how far away the catcher has already walked, and Manny still isn't going anywhere.











Just his overall wackiness:





He rubbed Julian Tavarez's head for like a minute straight, on camera. Youtube this if you haven't seen it, it's ridiculous.





After becoming an American citizen in 2004, he came out to left field with an American flag, to a standing ovation. Other things he has brought with him to left field: MP3 playing sunglasses, and a water bottle in his back pocket.




When he appeared on ebay, selling a grill. Here was his item description:

"Hi, I'm Manny Ramirez. I bought this AMAZING grill for about $4,000 and I used it once. ... but I never have the time to use it because I am always on the road. I would love to sell it and you will get an autographed ball signed by me. Enjoy it, Manny Ramirez."




The play from earlier this year when he caught a fly ball, high-fived a Sox fan, turned and completed the double play. A rare instance when Manny being Manny actually resulted in a solid baseball play. My favorite part of this play is when they are back in the dugout, and the team is gathered in front of a camera, re-watching it, and they're all dying laughing, and Manny is re-creating the high five, laughing just as hard as everyone else.


Back in 2001, in his first at-bat at Fenway, in the first pitch he sees, he unleashes a monster three-run homer. That's not really weird, just awesome.

Perhaps the most mind-boggling thing he ever did (which is saying something) was when he cut off a throw from Johnny Damon...in the outfield. He had to dive for the ball, then scramble to relay it to the shortstop (the real cut-off man) all while the Orioles player circled the ball for a inside the park home run. Maybe my favorite Manny moment...and apparently MLB has wiped out every clip from the internet.

When T. Nels and I went to Boston for the first time in 2005, during the first game we saw in Fenway, Manny hit a home run to left that cleared the Coke bottle over the Monster. Turned out to be the game-winning hit, and I don't think that ball has landed yet.

Back in 1994, when he was still with Cleveland, the team was gathered in the clubhouse, watching the O.J. chase on TV. Manny strolls in, asks what they're watching. A teammate answers, "They're chasing O.J." Manny's reply, "What did Chad do?" Referring to teammate Chad Ogea, who was reportedly standing 3 feet away from Manny at the time.

Fittingly, a sequence that is Manny's entire career in a nutshell comes from his first game as a rookie. He hits a ground rule double (his first career hit) but thinks it left the yard, so he continues to round the bases. The third base umpire stops him and directs him back to second base. Moments later, he is picked off.

Maybe after all the shenanigans over the years, it was inevitable that it ended like this. As Manny himself would probably put it, "It was just destination, joo know?"

You'll be missed.